Thursday, December 9, 2010

Media Diary for a day!!

This diary was kept on Saturday 4th December 2010

5.30am – checked time on digital clock – went back to sleep

7.10am – checked time again – looked at mobile phone and checked emails.

7.15am – got out of bed, looked out window – been snowing all night, took 3 photos with my mobile and sent them to facebook.

7.26am – on desktop computer checking emails, reading online papers.

7.45am – checking out facebook and talking to friend on Microsoft messenger

8.20 am– having breakfast – put TV on

9.30 am -- checking emails and facebook

9.45am -- start chatting on messenger with friends

10.30am – housework but TV is on in the background

12.15pm – Out shopping, use phone for text messaging and checking emails – this goes on for approx the next 3 hrs.

3.45pm – respond to emails via computer, check facebook

4.30pm-5.30pm – at gym with IPOD, watched some TV whilst on cardio equipment

6.45pm – working on websites for approx 2 hours, check facebook

9.45pm – talk to my parents in Australia via Skype for approx 45mins

11.30pm – bed time, watch TV as dozing, using phone text my friend and read a couple more emails.

Summary

I check emails constantly even when I am not home due to having access on my blackberry phone. The TV is pretty much on all the time at our house, even if it is for just background noise or for a music station playing. I spent approx 5 hours on the computer breaking that time up with emailing, checking facebook and communicating with friends. Even when I go to the gym there are TV’s to watch on each of the cardio machines. Although the TV is on in the background, I am on the computer more than I am watching TV.

I am a stay at home mum who dabbles in web design so I spend a bit more time on the computer when I am designing a website.

We are definitely a multi media family and computers and the TV are our main source. My mobile phone is with me 24x7 so I am able to see emails straight away. I can also check facebook on there too. Living in America, I used facebook, messenger and Skype on a regular basis to keep in touch with family and friends back home in Australia.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Jo

    It's amazing just how ubiquitous media is when we start to look around.

    I'm starting to think I'm the only person in this course who doesn't go to the gym ;-)

    cheers
    Stew

    ReplyDelete